New Scholar Check-In
As a new scholar [postdocs, researchers,, short-term scholars, and visiting researchers] you must come to the International Center and complete New Scholar Check-In. You are required by law to complete this process so the IC can "validate" your immigration status.
When Can I Check-In?
Check-In Sessions are every week during the following times:
- Monday 9am-11am
- Wednesday 2pm-4pm
- Friday 9am-11am
** Check-in sessions will not be available during scheduled university holidays.
What Is Required for Check-in?
- Scholar Check-In Form
- UCI Department Invitation Letter
- Copies of:
- Visa Stamp
- I-94 Card [front and back]
- EAD Card [if applicable]
- DS-2019 [for J-1 visa holders]/I-20 [for F-1 visa holders]
- J-1 Scholar Online Orientation Receipt [for J-1 visa holders only]
- Dependent Information [if applicable]
- Copies of the above listed documents for your dependents are required.
- If your J-1 is not sponsored by UCI, an approval letter for employment authorization at UCI from your sponsoring agency is required.
- Proof of health insurance [check-in cannot be completed without health insurance].
Where Can I Check-In?
You will need to come to the International Center [UCI Student Center, G302] to complete the check-in process.
What Happens After I Check-In?
- After you have successfully completed the check-in process, you will receive an Employment Eligibility Form from the IC which will confirm your check-in is complete. You will need to schedule an appointment and take this form to your hosting department to begin the employment process.
- You will also need to apply for a Social Security Number if you do not already have one. You can only apply for a social security after you have completed check-in at the IC.